Gramma's Pen

Monday, January 05, 2009


We're home from Conference, happy to have met and talked with some old, old friends. We're glad to have had some encouraging ministry, and didn't get overwhelmed with fatigue, Freckles saw to it that I rested, ate right, and didn't overextend. Alas, Saturday she came down with some horrendous malady, whether it was some kind of flu or bronchitis or a bad cold, or a combination of the three, we don't know. Truck driver went out Saturday night to get some Nyquil. We left after lunch on Sunday. My little gal went right to bed and stayed there. Well, she did get up and got herself to Urgent Care right around the corner from us. They said they would not accept her health insurance, but offered to see her for $95. She said thanks, but no thanks and came home again and got back in bed.


LILY cried at the front door...that means move fast, so I did, fastened her two leashes so she had room to run. I didn't take time to get my glasses or my walker because her cry was urgent. Just as I stepped out the front door, old man black greased lightning swished out between my legs. He was off. Lily and I went down the sidewalk. Without my glasses I couldn't tell what was a tree trunk or wayward Bobbie. I guessed right and picked him up at Muneka's back gate. We three hobbled back to our front door, her doing business on the way. I did not have a bag with me so hope the deposit will wash away in the coming rain. The grass is patchy California gold and green so all is well hidden and not in anyone's walkway.


lADYBUG took me shopping Wednesday so I could get dinner things. I forgot applesauce so my Galacia Ave relatives bought some on their way to dinner Thursday. Sir told his daughter, Dolly, that it tasted like pickles, so she was happy to eat sauaerkraut. I think she really liked it. The kids enjoyed the red hots in the applesauce, except Rapunzel who lined hers up on the edge of her plate. Bones took a trip to the pharmacy before dinner to get some medicines for the sicky we left at home to cough as much as she wanted. My little gal hasn't eaten anything but a scant bowl of ramen until last night when we had some chicken and rice. We plan on having tilipia tonight with a sauce of both green and black olives, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, capers and finely chopped garlic.

While looking out my computer window, I see the wisteria has bit the dust. All leaves are crinkly brown. The bouganvilla that climbs our back fence and gate has withered from the frost and the blue plumbago by the garage door, likewise was kissed by Jack Frost. Freckles moved our Hibiscus in to bask in the morning sunshine. It has perked up after shriveling and still has shiny green leaves. The pot of narcissus shows evidence of rapid growth. They will no doubt bloom next month as February is usually our spring.

I must get back to my knitting of Sarah's mittens before that spring when she won't need them anymore.


Post a Comment

<< Home