Gramma's Pen

Monday, April 28, 2008

Not so blue Monday

This morning I didn't wake until 8:04...the trick was that Kedj had closed my bedroom door so that our "children" did not rush in to greet me with bouncing on my feet and whispering slobbery sweet nothings into my ear. Kedj took our little Princess Lily out for a brisk two milw walk through the neighbrhood while dear old man Bobby rested serenely on his bouncy chair in the sun, on the patio. This I was told because I was still fast asleep behind my closed door.

We had breakfast, me at the patio table and Kedj and the doggies on the swing in the sunshine. We wear sun visors. because the morning sun blasts in from the east through all the greenery to the west. Freckles even tilted the awning on the swing to shield some of the blaze from our faces. At first I wondered at this maneuver...afterall Shawn had built a very substantial gazebo type covering. It is beautiful, and the wisteria already has wrapped itself around the NE post and is slithering across the top. I was wishing those lovely purple blooms would hand down through, but I guess I'll have to wait until next year. Do you remember the lovely patio cover our dear brothers Ray and Ernie built for us at Jennifer? The wisteria sure did its thing there. Evidently the new owners took it down because the dropped blossoms made a mess in the pool. Incidentally, that old house has a new room added on the west end next to the kitchen and dining room. Also it has been restoned with a pretty blue concoction. All my "grandchildren" trees have been removed. There is a driveway along the west of the property for parking their RV.

Last Spring when Kedj and I drove up north for Jim and Gen's anniversary party we just happened, no, made a point of visiting our old neighborhoos in San Leandro. Duffy's is still there, but I guess all his recipes went with him when he passed away. Our house on Broadmoor is now painted a lovely apple green with white trim. The garage also is newly painted. Those old walnut trees bit the dust. What used to be our kitchen is now a huge Grandma bedroom, convenient because it is right next to the little bathroom. Next to it towards the back yard is a new modern kitchen that is accessed through a door that used to be a window at the end of the family room. Everything is manicured...even has a wrought iron gate at the front of the driveway instead of the broad redwood one I had fashioned with a wheel on the bottom because it was so heavy. The front yard is lush (I think they have a gardener). Of course, the lower branches of that ancient deodar cedar have been trimmed. It still spreads across our whole width (50') and across our neighbors yards too. Those old camellia bushes stand like sentinels on either side of the yard, are blooming their full heads off. The new owners graciously took us in to see what appeared to be a model for a fashion magazine. The whole house is hardwood floors. It was furnished elegantly in a traditional style. Gone is the separate tub and shower room, it is now all one great big room.

Our drive through the town was eerie in the fact that everything looked so small. Kedj did take time to go throuh her old schools, Bancroft and HS.

Back to today. It is a delicioyus feeling to have the table cleared, kitchen cleaned up and makings for super started in the oven. I had put together ground pork and ground beef, an egg, chopped onion, bread crumbs and Worcesterswhire sauce for meatloaf. Overnight it kept cold in the frig. This morning I took it apare to make meatballs. I suddenly came to my senses that the two of us did not do a whole meatloaf and it's not exactly a companay meal. So now the meatballs are partially cooked (in the oven), are cooling to be ready to be packaged in our sized portions, for the freezer from which they can turn into: Swedish meatballs, Spaghetti and, Stroganoff, etc, etc.

I'm feeling pretty good this morning. My lower back aches a little bit, but that too will pass when I get to moving around a bit. Guess I should get some more Glucosamine Chondriton. If our President takes it, it must be good enough for me.

2 Comments:

  • Ahh, San Leandro. It's been, what, 28 years since we moved away? Are the Trianas still there? They were when Bruce and I stopped by about 10 years ago. Mrs. was still hoping her son would take up with Kedj!

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 1:02 PM  

  • Don't remind me! She still claims I'm his one true love...sigh. When she answered the door (after we rang the doorbell) I don't think she recognized me. (so much for holding torches). It was a delight to visit with Barbara, though probably for the last time.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home