Gramma's Pen

Thursday, March 27, 2008

PSALM 116

Years ago, while we still lived in San Leandro, Uncle Dan put this lovely psalm to music. I don't remember what chords he used on his trusty guitar, but the message flowed as we sat around the fireplace in the family room. I remember it often and am grateful for the family the Lord has given me. We love each other, even with some of the rough edges still rough. But, when jostling around with each other we do tend to wear off some of those rough spots. After all, it is the giving of ourselves that we do achieve true happiness. Verse 12 asks: "What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?" Verse 17 suggests: "I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord." Can we do less?

All of us are slowing down. It is good to recognize our individual capabilities and limitations and to live accordingly. Gone are the days I delighted in having 42 for sit down dinner. I have fond memories of our get togethers with themes...the Irish, the Greek with stuffed grape leaves and baklava; Italian for Jim's birthday; Oktoberfest; Hawaiian Hukilau beside the pool with appropriate games; the potato bake after Henry and his 8-month pregnant daughter gleaned the fields in Winchester.

Soup worries with diet without potatoes, Butch struggles with weight and diet controlled diabetes, our Kakalena puts too much on her plate to maneuver, Lala Lee is all quilted out. Freckles wears her arm brace day and night but still hurts, Bones has just plain accepted Hashimoto's Syndrome...nothing to be done anyway. I am glad to wake up in the moring one day's march nearer home.

3 Comments:

  • I just remember that he sang 'trouble and sorrow' twice in a row, and with great feeling...

    By Blogger Kedge, at 8:03 PM  

  • Dear Grandma I got the message that you wonted my addess and phone number so here is my e-mail address, and I can send you the other stuff threw it. chris-s_sweetheart@hotmail.com

    I really enjoied reading your post too it was incouraging one thing that the Lord has brought to my attention is that we are to have like doves eyes watching and waiting for Him in the antisapation of our Blessed Lord and Saviour. I have shuch good news to share I can't wait till I post it so I wonted to share that our little Andrew has accepeted Jesus into his little heart, and can't seem to stop talking about it. It is so verry preshious I can't help but share that with you now. I believe the Lord is working in all of our hearts but to see the tender heart that is trying so heard to please Jesus is beouitfull Andrews favoret song he calls out every Sunday is "Yes Jesus loves me" he walks around the house playing with his toys singing it over and over. Well I was only supose to be giveing you my e-mail so I will go, and try to catch up later, I love you. In our Lord your Grandaughter Christina

    By Blogger Tina, at 10:37 PM  

  • I forgot about that nickname. Yah, it seems to run in the family, doesn't it? I never had a problem until after my last baby was born. Can I blame stress?

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home