Gramma's Pen

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

IVY

In my closet I have a new T-shirt. It's brown and really not a very flattering color for me. But Freckle Face got it for me from a special Ivy Sport catalogue offer.On the front it says in ivory Ancient Eight. On the back there is a twisted ivy sprig labelled with eight leaves, depicting the eight Ivy Leagie Schools: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton and Yale. It was only $5 so that's even better than Long's.

Half my back yard, the shady half, is covered in assorted ivy, both needle point, and English. It's a nice ground cover and spreads like crazy. It has even crawled up my chimney and on the garage wall of my neighbor. Looks great with our fountain. While rampaging up the chimney, a sprig wandered over and volunteered through my window. That is, it snaked its way through that part where the window itself is supposed to meet the frame. It is wending its way around toward the fireplace inside with new shoots.

Ladybug is here to take me to the Podiatrist for a check up. My feet are fine, but he'll do my toenails. Gotta go!

3 Comments:

  • I love ivy! It's certainly a great ground cover. Kedj planted some for me when LJ was born and it took off like a weed. Never a problem with it either. Except for the neighbor's complaints of overgrowth!

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 2:25 PM  

  • As a longtime southern Ca resident, I am loathe to rip out anything green. That being said, ivy growing through a window is not a good thing to encourage. I thought about it...how nice to have it cover the fireplace, you know. It gets a chop tomorrow, inside and out.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 6:09 PM  

  • Oh, sombody take a picture before the ivy gets chopped! I love ivy too. When we got married I bought a bunch of potted ivy plants for decorations at the wedding. Most were given away as gifts to various helpers, but I kept five and brought them with me to Canada. All but one plant died from the move/transplant/etc. The one remaining plant has since taken over the molasses barrel that all five were orginally planted in, and gracefully flows onto our patio. Someday when we own a home, I'm going to replant that ivy plant and let it climb my house/trees/yard or whatever we have for it to climb.

    P.S. Thank you for your comment on my blog the other day, Grandma. It was encouraging!

    By Blogger ioi, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home