Gramma's Pen

Sunday, November 25, 2007

...not turkey again!

Yep! We had a scrumptious Thanksgiving dinner with most of the trimmings at #5 daughter's house. (we did forget a few things in the fridge). Saturday we had a cooperative at the Mtg Rm with visitors from LA, San Diego, and Shadow Hills. This time #4 daughter brined a big one for 24 hours in a boiled mixture of oranges, lemons, fresh thyme, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, salt and water for 24 hours in a big waste basket in the fridge. Grandson JW helped our friend KF do the carving. It was a real exercise to get the bird from our fridge to the sink to pour out the brine because #4 daughter had her right arm in a sling for her ailing elbow and I'm still using my ski walker to get around. With her left arm and my right we managed to get the bird into two grocery bags and onto the seat of my walker. We rolled out the kitchen door to the car and "deftly" slid the turkey onto double towel layer over plastic on the back seat. At 6:30 in the morning there is not much traffic on Saturday mornings so #4 was able to maneuver the car with her left arm, mostly. The loading and unloading process was repeated when we got to the mtg rm kitchen. At lunch time we enjoyed TURKEY again. Today. Well. We had hot turkey sandwiches. The carcass is simmering away along with the skin. This time I'll only make stock and freeze it in muffin tins. That way I'll be able to gather it all together in one big plastic bag and get out only what I need. Muffin tins rather than Ice cube trays because the grease is easier to clean out of metal than plastic.

So-o-o-o-o-o no more turkey for another year.

2 Comments:

  • ...and Gramma had to 'shift' the gears with her right arm reaching across herself as her thumb was on the wrong side of her hand and she needed to push in the gear-shift button as she went from PARK to REVERSE to DRIVE. What a team!

    By Blogger Kedge, at 8:56 PM  

  • Turkey dinner is my favorite! Every year before thanksgiving I order a turkey dinner if we are in a resturant that offers it. I like to get a head start on getting my fill because they only come around this time of year. I suppose I could cook one up myself in June...but not for 22 cents a pound.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home