Gramma's Pen

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Walk, walk, walk and walk some more

That's just what the therapist said. That's just what the doctor said. That's just what my daughters said. So I walk, walk, walk. Every morning at 6 o'clock Schnicklefritz turns on my overhead light. I grumble a bit and then swing my legs out of bed and stumble to my "new in progress bathroom." JJ has made the doorway wider and installed a new door. Next the glass shower doors are coming off and then new waterproof wall siding will be applied. Already I have a new ventilating fan, bright light and night light.

I've just come back from my westerly walk this morning. I shed a few tears because my lower back is all crunched up and doesn't uncrunch until about 10 o'clock. I take a few pain pills and launch out with my handy dandy seated walker. We walked into the walkway of the next door apartment complex. It's interesting to see how other folks live. They have lots of huge boulders, scattered desert friendly plants and a dry creek bed. Maybe tomorrow I'll do both westerly and easterly walks. Yesterday I did easterly and northerly. Maybe in a week or two I can try the southerly route. There's a hill involved there.

My daughters have been so helpful in ferrying me around. Schnickle takes me grocery shopping every Saturday and drops me off at the doctor's office. Ladybug picks me up there and took me to Henry's for sprouts. Chuggy came and took me to sushi lunch and to Michael's and Smart and Final yesterday.

I'm feeling stronger every day. I'm able to keep my blood pressure in the normal range, but my sugar level seems to be all over the map. Pasta and bananas seem to make it spike. I'll give them up because I don't want to HAVE to use insulin. Even though the visiting nurse gave lessons to me and Chuggy and Schnickle and the grapefruit, I still don't want to do it. Coffee has dripped and I'm ready for my first cuppa.

3 Comments:

  • She's running from that needle! If we keep her sugar-level down by exercise we don't have to inject. She tells me that I'll have to catch her first, anyway... As to the insulin lessons, the grapefruit was the first to get it right.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 8:33 AM  

  • Yay! Gramma Yay! Walkity Walk Walk! We might try and squeeze a visit in this week if I can beat traffic.
    The napping and then not napping baby is making it hard.

    By Blogger SAJ, at 11:33 AM  

  • No NO NO! Stay away from the insulin as long as possible! Have you tried the whole wheat noodles lately? I bet they won't spike your levels too much.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home