Gramma's Pen

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Spinach

How, oh how do I like SPINACH. Yes, it's full of iron and vitamins, especially Vitamin K. For this reason I'm not supposed to have it very often. I discovered this when my Coumadin dosage had to be doubled...too much clotting was going on.

I like

SPINACH SALAD WITH HOT BACON DRESSING

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch or flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 pound bacon
bacon drippings

Salad ingredients:

1 pound spinach (washed and cut)
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 hard boiled eggs, sliced

1. Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch and mustard in a blender. add beaten eggs and mix again. Add milk and vinegar. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook until thickened.
2. Fry bacon and add crumbled pieces to dressing. To enhance taste add bacon drippings.
3. Wash spinach to remove all sand. Spin dry. Garnish spinach with mushrooms and sliced eggs. Serve with hot dressing.

SPINACH SQUARES

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups fresh spinach or 1 package frozen spinach
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 onion, chopped

1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add eggs. milk and butter and mix well.
2. If using fresh spinach cook, drain and chop. If using frozen spinach, thaw and drain.
3. Add spinach, cheese and onion to flour and egg mixture. Spread into a greased 9" x 13" pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool 10-15 minutes or long enough to cut into squares. Serve warm.



I also like SPINACH DIP

Just use the recipe on the box of Knorr Vegetable Soup.

2 Comments:

  • I like spinach too. Especially fresh leaves in a salad. Spinach dip is so good too with water chestnuts!

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 3:59 PM  

  • Do I have your curry recipe? That was so good on Wednesday! My curry is sitting on my counter waiting for me to open its package.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home