Gramma's Pen

Friday, December 19, 2008

COLD, COLD AND COLDER

We knew it was coming, yes we did. After all that lovely rain it was bound to happen. As soon as Freckles got home from her shop last night she rushed out to cover our plants in the side yard and the patio. She didn't even feed the pooches first. For this they raised a great commotion, even a howl or two. With all the covering accomplished we settled down to a respectable winter meal: SAUERKRAUT, MASHED POTATOES AND BRATWURST. Yes, it did freeze last night. The hills around us and the roofs were covered with frost, even our front lawn.

I'm trying to use up all the bargains I have in my freezer so I can load up again for our after-conference guests. I'd had that bratwurst for a while. Tonight we plan to have some kind of shrimp quiche. I don't know yet whether I'll use the frozen pie crust or the frozen filo. I made a spinach tart about a month ago from the Eating Well magazine. For some reason Freckles is apprehensive about my improvising when I don't have all the ingredients, so it's been suggested that I google to find an appropriate real recipe.

It just so happened that the Acasia Business Center Compound had its Holiday Party on Wednesday. Twenty-nine people showed up, all laden with yummy food offerings. The folks gathered in the empty rooms in Building B. Freckles decorated with twinkling clear lights we often use for parties, running down the buffet table. They were nestled amongst a line of white feather boas. This is the reason we have some of the leftover shrimp. There were three offerings of those shrimp rings with the containers of sauce in the middle. How could they possibly use three when the table was also laden with smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, bean salad, potato salad, macaroni salad. They had to use our antique oak table to hold all the desserts. The sink in the side room was filled with ice and Martinelis. It was a happy time and the tenants got to chat while they ate, which is a whole lot more than a nod in greeting to and from in the morning and evening.

I've been working on my Cattle Drive story. The more I research, the more bewildered and amused I've become. So this is all for today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 6:07 PM  

  • well, your last substitution of a box of cherry jello when we didn't have current jelly was rather inovative.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 6:09 PM  

  • Good cooks learn by their mistakes!

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home