Gramma's Pen

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cooling Down

This week started off with a trip to the Optometrist. Freckles took me before going to work and stayed because for some reason I was feeling apprehensive. About an hour later I was prescribed with a 20/30 correction for my left eye. With a shrug of the shoulders Dr. Lane announced that the vision in my right eye was two fingers at three feet...a failed corneal transplant. It's a good thing I'm not driving anymore.

My #1 granddaughter sent me an address for an inspiring collection of recipes:

http://smittenkitchen.com

I tried the meatballs and spaghetti which made the most delicious meatballs I had ever made, really tender. Then I made the beef, leek, barley soup which was absolutely fantastic. It was really a no brainer because I just put in the crockpot two meaty short ribs, two sliced leeks, two sliced onions, 1/2 cup barley and eight cups of water. After chilling in the fridge overnight it was a simple thing to take of the fat in the morning. You'll notice no salt...I try to cut down so it will be necessary to add to your own taste. I'm still chuckling at DJ's comment last night after meeting when I said it was getting to be soup weather. Yes, he said, It's down to 90 degrees.

We've been having Santa Ana's so we have a red flag fire danger. Talk about California green and gold...we sure have a lot of gold dry stuff out there. It's time for my coffee RIGHT NOW!



+

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home