Gramma's Pen

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hello again, finally

It's 42 degrees out there on my patio. Brrrrr. I'm sitting here in my sweats and Knittery's sox and my spiffy new pink polar fleece robe that Freckles made me. It wraps all around and doubles in the front and reaches the whole way to my ankles. I don't believe it's needful to turn on the furnace as long as I can just put on another layer. Oh what a rain we had yesterday...I had Juana help me move my cypress tree/lantana pot out from under the eaves so they could catch some of that precious liquid sunshine. Yellow Bird (Luciano) is twittering away his happy song. Of course, like our last canary did, he's doing his best singing while Freckles is in the shower. Bobby went to see Dr. Ballenger, and came home with some special pain pills that he gets to take at night so he can sleep well. He sleeps most of the day, too. He still goes out every morning, but ends up in his walker's zip up windbreaker after a very short while. After all, he'll be sixteen in February, and that's pretty old for a poodle.

For the last month or so I have been trying to blog, honest! It's just that I am not very computer literate and wasn't able to get to the site. None of my maneuvers helped. When the gang got back from their walk my special friend/daughter pushed the right buttons, so here I am again. Good Morning!

My subscription to "Eating Well" has been inspiring. Last night we had roasted root vegetables along with our baked Tilapia. Yum. I just pared and quartered beets, turnips, sweet potato, onion and carrots, spritzed over some olive oil and shook over some garlic salt and rolled them in the casserole, baked at about 325 degrees for an hour. I'll use the beet greens and red cabbage tonight. Another new recipe we gleaned from Ina Garten:

Rolled, stuffed, pork tenderloin
Cut one pork tenderloin through the middle long wise, not quite the whole way through
Then cut the two halves almost the whole way through.
Place the meat between two layers of Saran wrap and pound with the end of a saucer.
One block of cream cheese, softened (flavored is fine)
One slivered in a bit of olive oil red bell pepper.
A small handful of chopped chives
two slices of rendered bacon crumbled

Spread the cream cheesee over the meat
On top put the sauteed peppers slices, chopped chives and bacon
Roll the whole business and tie.
Season the roll with garlic salt and paprika
Bake for 30 minutes, then let it set for 10 minutes before slicing.

This fed seven people for Sunday Dinner. Daniel came by and finished off the two leftover slices. Freckles had it all ready to go and put it in the oven when we got home from meeting. Meanwhile we did the salad (baby greens, pears, sauteed sugared pecans, crumbled feta and balsamic vinegar) and poured water in the glasses. Try it, you'll like it. I'm ready to try other stuffings.

Oooops, here comes the sunshine.

4 Comments:

  • I'm glad the sunshine came out, it came out here too!

    The pork sounds wonderful! What temperature do you set the oven to? What type of pan? Do you put a lid on it?

    I don't really know how to cook pork but would love to try this recipe!

    By Blogger The Chatty Housewife, at 6:46 PM  

  • 375 Chatty. I also used a meat thermometer, a must as pork loin is so lean and cooks fast. you want the interior temp to be 145. Our loin comes with a scale on the package...
    I'd baked a slivered red bell in olive oil and seasoned salt for 25 min/350.
    You'll want to pound the meat quite flat. The loin we had was 1.5lbs and tough to roll as it was still too thick.
    Bake seam side down.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 7:35 AM  

  • I think it was 1.5lbs. It was about double the size of an empty paper towel roll. The meat is so dense that it feeds more than it looks like.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 7:39 AM  

  • Thank you! I was thinking of making individual ones and swapping out the peppers for sun dried tomatoes too!

    By Blogger The Chatty Housewife, at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home