Gramma's Pen

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wearing out

Monday was a very stressful day. We just couldn't get my blood sugar under control. Freckles came home from her shop and spent three hours with me trying to help. I had insulin three times, she and Lily walked me in my nightie and straw hat, up and down the sidewalk. I drank (literally) a gallon of water. All this while we tried to get in touch with my doctor. It seems her whole office takes a two-hour lunch break and, of course, it was lunch time. Freckles had me get dressed and said we were going to the ER. I dragged my feet and said I'd like to wait to talk with Dr. Adeyemo. I guess my thought was that by the time we got there my sugar would be falling and I'd feel rediculous for wasting the ER staff's time. Gradually the levels did start to fall about ten points at a time. My ever caring daughter went back to work and I kept drinking water. You know, I then spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom. In my old age I have been having cravings for the comfort food of my childhood. I had "gravy bread" for breakfast, throw back from depression years. The advice nurse at SCAN said that was not the cause of the high sugar. We did get in touch with the doctor's office. Then, unthinkingly (I've done a lot of that lately), I opened a can of spaghetti and meatballs for lunch. Noodles always do a job on me. My two doctors have given me an eating program to prepare for my procedure on the 25th. No fruit. No raw vegetables; only cooked, no tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, corn, beans, no dairy products (yes, that includes cheese). My biggest challenge today is to plan meals to bring up the protein and cut down on carbs. Doctor called us last night and gave Freckles a detailed regimen to follow...what to do, and when to do it. We hope this helps.

Maybe someone out there in cyber-land can help me.

3 Comments:

  • I'm praying for you Momand I love you

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:04 PM  

  • It's a scary thing when one can't get control of a seemingly simple thing. I know it's hard and I often rebel against it. Just another week and some of those impossible restrictions will be lifted. Hang in there and yeah, what Sue said.

    By Blogger Jailgy, at 2:19 PM  

  • Whoops! Just tell them you want something that you can follow step by step. I always find it easier to do something if I'm told to follow an exact plan rather than something nebulus. "Breakfast: one hard boiled egg, black coffee" does it for me. Rather than "eat less carbs and more protein" I hope your "detailed regimen" does the trick. Love you.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home