Gramma's Pen

Friday, November 10, 2006

One more time

A great day today. Beautiful blue sky, only whispers of clouds. Bobby is sleeping in my chair and I'm pounding away on the keyboard. Yes, I am a bit frustrated. I had been working on the tips and recipes for KnitteryKate to put into her little family recipe book. I was in the mood and dredged old family short cuts and such. After about eight or nine such entries, I moved my curser to correct spelling on Piccata and hit that little "X" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Alas, all went whoosh. I hope my children, grandchildren and their children will appreciate all this effort down the road.

My poetry friend came over yesterday afternoon and we shared the blog sent by her granddaughter to my granddaughter. We laughed, shed a few tears and thoroughly enjoyed visiting with our great-grandchildren pictured on screen.

Last night Ladybug gave me a leftover ham bone along with about six bags of assorted dried beans. My usual procedure is to haul out the crockpot, put the bone in the bottom, sliver an onion over top, add one bag of rinsed beans and about eight cups of water. Sometimes I add some "Vegeta" which is a powered seasoning we get at George's German Meat Market. This almost filled the pot, for I had used two bags of beans (four cups). Before going to bed I checked the pot and discovered beans swollen up to the rim of the pot. Then I put the whole conglomeration into my handy dandy stock pot and turned the gas knob to low and cooked all night. This morning I retrieved the bone and its falling off shreds of ham. I removed one cup of "lumps" and put aside. The rest I put through the blender in batches. Then I pulled off the gristle and fat and discarded along with the now clean bones. I had some soup for breakfast. With the funnel sitting in the mouth, I ladled the soup into newly acquired mayonnaise jars, divided evenly the lumps and shreds of ham into four jars. I had another bowl of soup for lunch. It needed salt. I don't cook with salt. Besides, if you put salt into beans while they cook, they immediately scrunch up and become hard as bullets. I guess I'll try the recipes again this afternoon. Now I need another cup of coffee.

5 Comments:

  • i read mom and i read your comments on other blogs too i was bossy was'nt i . i don't think i am now i think i have passed tha t on

    By Blogger Sue, at 6:44 PM  

  • Yes, indeed, guess you could call it mellowing.

    By Blogger Gramma, at 7:03 PM  

  • I didn't know about salt and cooking beans. Thanks for mentioning it!

    By Blogger ioi, at 11:26 PM  

  • Guess who shot a lot of bunnies yesterday?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:07 AM  

  • Bunnies? What do you mean?

    Yes, we appreciate all the recipies. Maybe you can get your screen to display in a larger font/format to make it easier for you. I think you have to go into utilities/display or something like that. Ask the computer experts around there!

    Mom, your last sentence was the best... I need one too.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home