Gramma's Pen

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Because of Daffodils

To those of you dwelling out in the Bloggisphere,you are well aware of the fact that the trio living in this house does errands on Saturday mornings. You know, the usual, to the bank, to the fabric store, to the BBBB's to drop off coupons (sometimes), and to the supermarket. Yesterday I suggested we get some Daffodil Bulbs for it is high time to get them into the ground for bloom in the spring. Spring here is often February. Kedg thought it was a good idea for we could get new fluorescent light bulbs for the dimmed laundry. We made stops #1 #2, #3, and then landed at stop #4 : Home Depot. The light bulb was easy to find. We picked it up and tried to fit it into the magic ride around chariot. The one I got that day only went "FAST" and "STOP" and nothing else. I couldn't gently slow down going around corners, so I didn't, just whipped around full speed ahead. Some carts have levers--left to the left, right to the right. Not this one, left went straight ahead and surprise of all surprises, right went backwards, FAST. I didn't hit anyone or anything. After all when I was in Japan they told me I was a 'professional driver'. Maneuvering through the aisles toward the comfort station, we skidded by the counter top section. We paused. Kedg returned the fluorescent back to its spot in the cart. There was a special. Aha! My enterprising daughter contracted to have a new kitchen counter installed. She just happened to bring along measurements. I got to pick out a speckled white composite. We went on to pick out a new faucet arrangement. THEN we tootled over to the garden shop. I found only miniature daffodils, but that's all right. All this time Bobby has been entertained by extra tall granddaughter, who came along for the ride. Back to the service desk to check out: light bulbs, daffodil bulbs and kitchen counter. (This just happened to include a sink molded into the whole). That was the special, but there was another special. Any veteran or member of a veteran's family, or someone related to a veteran was to be granted a 10% discount because it was Veterans' Day. We learned this after the transaction was completed. "Bring back proof of relationship and we'll see what we can do." Last month, when going through some of my mother's old papers in the green file box, I found my Dad's Army Discharge Papers. I also knew where I had stored my great grandfathers' (McLaughlin and White) pension records. These I had garnered from Washington when I was active in doing family history searches. This afternoon Kedg took said documents back to the service desk at Home Depot. She spoke to another clerk who wondered why she had to come back. Without even looking at the papers, present helpful clerk automatically took the purchase papers and gave the 10% discount on the complete purchase, bulbs, bulbs and counter top.

Because of the Daffodils? I think not. I have never been in want. I've always had a home to live in, food to eat and reasonably good health. My Lord has ALWAYS provided for necessary things. But Daffodil Bulbs were a little something extra, a blessing for which I am truly grateful.

3 Comments:

  • Now to plant them! Yesterday was way too much for Mom. The list of errands seemed to grow as the day progressed. Always one more stop, one more little thing to do over there. That and all-day meeting the next day.

    By Blogger Kedge, at 8:00 AM  

  • Sounds like a busy day! I can't wait to see your new kitchen! Now those dishes should be easier to wash, eh?

    Home Depot is a fun place to shop. Every time I go there I find something I just have to have. Glad you found what you needed.

    I'm sure your daffadils will be gorgeous next spring. Maybe red poppies next year?

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 10:06 AM  

  • Thanks for reminding me! I always forget to plant things until it's too late... like my pumkin. It's going to be a Christmas pumpkin this year.

    By Blogger SAJ, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home