Gramma's Pen

Friday, August 28, 2009

Quilting

How do you tell someone how to cut for a quilt when you don't know how to do it without drawing pictures? I'vw been using all, and I do mean ALL the descriptive words I know. When I live in the middle of Riverside County and my beginning quilter is in San Diego, I can't readily drop by for some "hands on" instruction. Basically, I don't want her to become discouraged. It can be loads of fun. I've always found it so. Marcia Hohn has some fabulous ideas (with drawings) on internet. They might come up in German, but your computer can, and will, translate for you. I made my first quilt for Babeeboobee out of tan, forest green and rust corduroy blocks sewn onto Suebee's old quilted fern green bedspread. You know, start by placing first block on the corner, then the next block, wrong side on top, stitching, folding out, then the next block. It turned out o.k., at least it was warm enough for another cover. The next quilt was for Legs on her 16th birthday. I did it log cabin style in shades of peach, green, brown and ivory. I don't know if it is still around or if it has vanished into never-never land. Then I bought some books, took some classes. Now I have some 42 quilts finished and given away. I have yet to do one for myself, although I have put aside the pattern of "Storm at Sea" that I think would be pretty in blues to match my draperies. Legs did take a class with LaLa and gave that project to me. I love to snuggle under it when I snooze in my recliner.

2 Comments:

  • I'm going down to help her she gave me some gas money but she is still cutting away and trying to do it herself love you mom

    By Anonymous ladybugsuebee, at 1:20 PM  

  • Oops...I DID make a quilt for myself! In shades of blue and green. Right now it is hanging in the living room, behind the brown love seat covering the double doors to Freckles' room

    By Blogger Gramma, at 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home