Gramma's Pen

Sunday, January 14, 2007

TOO LATE

Arctic air from Alaska decended upon us last night. Really, it blew in with a vengence. Temperature dropped way down (26 degrees). Our bouganvilla shriveled up, turned all brown and crinkly. Our rubber plants sagged and drooped limply. Potted bulbs braved the elements, their green spikes reached toward the hazy sun. We've dispensed with a dining room and now have a greenery wall to wall, even over my new countertop. I think I see smiles of gratitude from my garden friends. Certainly if BB and BB can allow Argentina access to the downstairs bathroom at night in this bitter cold, can we do less for our struggling plant life? Our patio is bare. Reluctantly Kedj picked our lone tomato. (I had harvested only two this summer). In a last ditch effort the vegetable has sprouted two golfball sized products in the middle of December. We were just waiting for them to ripen. Instead they froze. With all the energy they could muster, my purple pansies and paper whites are doing their thing in the front yard. They tell me "Spring is just around the corner." Hah! I'll believe it when I see it AND feel it.

1 Comments:

  • It's so cold here too! -8C and no thoughts of getting warmer. We're expecting our 3rd snow fall of the season and the last has not even disappeared.

    By Blogger knitterykate, at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home